Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A plea for help

Hi everybody, here's a little update.

Overall, I'm doing just fine here in Bolivia. I was pretty homesick for a while, but I'm figuring things out now. I can get around in the city just fine, my family and I have come to an agreement regarding food, and I have a new thing for work so that's good too (I'll explain when I get some decent pictures to post).

So here's an interesting list of things that I never thought I'd miss about Canada:
  • Q-tips
  • French
  • wearing shorts (yes, I'm at the equator and I don't get to wear shorts)
  • being able to pet the cute doggies I see
  • the sun not setting at 6pm
  • street signs
  • humidity
  • no smoking
  • normal keyboards

Things that I don't miss about Canada:

  • expensive things (I'm getting used to paying 25 cents for an hour of internet usage and 10 cents for a Coke)
  • being in a hurry or late all the time (here if a meeting is supposed to start at 2, that really means at the earliest 2:30, and someone probably won't show up)
  • having to drive everywhere (that's more directed at Oakville than Canada in general)
  • having to go inside to buy something and
  • having to go somewhere specific in order to buy something

Things that, if someone was being nice and thinking about sending a care package, keeping in mind that it might take a month to get here, I might hypothetically want included:

  • a burned copy of the Princess Bride, if it has a Spanish language option. Or a real one, but don't count on it coming back in one piece.
  • the real estate section of the Toronto Star (my sister here is an architect)
  • Harry Potter 5 and/or 6
  • really, anything to read that's in English
  • Q-tips
  • candy and junk food. I miss gummy worms and cheesies and cookies that aren't Double Chocolate Oreos
  • my bed, but I don't think it'll fit

Anyways, thanks everybody for reading my blog! I'll try to keep posting, but my life is becoming slightly duller and I don't have a steady stream of cool pictures to post.

¡Hasta luego!

No comments: